Over land and under water, SEARCH is an archaeology firm that deploys the full spectrum of cultural heritage services worldwide. SEARCH2O, its maritime program, is at the forefront of historic shipwreck and submerged pre-contact archaeology, paleolandscape reconstruction, and deep-water archaeology.
SEARCH’s staff are cultural resource industry leaders, pioneers, and subject matter experts across 44 markets, regions, and research sectors. Since 1993, SEARCH has completed more than 4,000 commercial and government projects in 47 states, 6 US territories, and 32 countries spanning 6 continents and 4 oceans. By integrating science, technology, and creativity, SEARCH harnesses the power of the past to advance the projects, places, and people it serves.
SEARCH seeks a full time Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist to join our Guam office.
This is a fast-paced role, and candidates must have strong interpersonal communication skills, ability to work in team settings, time management skills, and ability to function independently.
Essential Duties and Functions
- Maintain the highest professional image for our clients, coworkers, media, and general public.
- Capture GIS data in different formats using GPS, electronic data recorders, and heads-up digitization.
- Create maps and graphs, using GIS software and related equipment.
- Gather, analyze, and integrate spatial data from staff and determine how best the information can be displayed using GIS.
- Create and edit ESRI shapefiles and geodatabase feature classes
- Design and implement appropriate geodatabase domains to improve accuracy of geospatial attribute data.
- Develop efficient workflows for producing large amounts of report graphics (e.g., data driven pages).
- Trimble and Garmin GPS equipment and software.
- Conduct research within the Department of Defense Geodatabases/Data Model.
- Use ESRI ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS desktop for developing GIS data, geoprocessing, analysis, cartographic design, and map production maps.
- Conduct archaeological monitoring, survey, testing, and excavation in support of Phase I, II, and III studies in accordance with the research design to identify, record, and evaluate historic and prehistoric cultural resources.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Cover letter highlighting your GIS and any Pacific archaeology experience
- Two (2) professional references
- Include the job posting code (GGIS-2021) in the subject line of your email
- Send all inquiries and additional application materials to HR@searchinc.com
- Bachelor’s degree in in Anthropology or related field.
- Degree or Certificate in GIS or related field (two or more semesters of GIS coursework).
- Archaeological Pacific experience preferred.
- One (1) year of full-time work experience in a GIS-heavy role.
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS 10x, knowledge of GPS processing software a plus (e.g., Trimble Pathfinder Office).
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite, especially MS Excel Proficient with editing tools in ArcGIS, and creating and editing shapefiles.
- Familiarity with feature symbology and style references in ArcMap.
- Ability to research and compile data from various online data warehouses.
- Experience with georeferencing aerial images and topographic maps.
- Familiarity with ESRI geodatabase.
- Experience with predictive models, LiDAR, and remote sensed data.
Other Important Need-To-Know Information
- This position must be based out of the SEARCH Guam office.
- Applicants must be eligible to be employed in the United States.
- Applicants must have reliable transportation.
- SEARCH offers a competitive total compensation package with strong health and wellness and retirement plans.
- Pay is commensurate with education and experience.
- SEARCH is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where a variety of backgrounds, cultures, orientations, ideas, and talents can flourish.
- SEARCH is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- SEARCH is an Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace.
- Employment offers are contingent upon satisfactory verification of criminal, education, driving, and/or employment background checks as well as passing results from a pre-employment drug screen.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@searchinc.com