Minutes – January 22, 2014

Meeting: Society for Hawaiian Archaeology Board of Directors Meeting

 Date: Wednesday, January 22, 2014

 Location: Paki 3, Bishop Museum

 

Chair: Mara Mulrooney, President

Recording Secretary: Summer Moore

Officers in Attendance: Mara Mulrooney, President Peter Mills, Vice President

Summer Moore, Secretary (via Skype)

Victoria Wichman, Treasurer

Standing Committee Chairs in Attendance:

Holly McEldowney, Ethics

Nick Belluzzo, Webmaster (via Skype)

 Absent:

Arleen Garcia-Herbst, PR Sara Collins, Legislative Beau DiNapoli, Student

Kelley Uyeoka, Education (via Skype)

 

 

President’s Remarks:

•     Meeting called to order at 5:07 pm by Chair, Mara Mulrooney

•    The first SHA workshop in the new series was last night, with Tom Dye talking about radiocarbon dating. Bishop Museum staff extracted audio files and she has sent them to Nick to upload.

 

Secretary’s Report: Summer Moore

•    Minutes from December 11, 2013, meeting circulated for approval; MOTION to accept by Mara, seconded and approved.

•    The December Newsletter went out mid-January.

 

Treasurer’s Report: Victoria Wichman

•    We had very little income last month, with one new member and two membership renewals.

•    Last month we incurred just over $500 in expenses, which paid for two shelving units for the SHA storage unit. She has upgraded storage unit for another $40 dollars per month to a 10 x 5. There is a combination lock on door, and she can give code to anyone who needs it.

•    Victoria has bought two shelves for the storage unit but thinks that we should buy three more.

MOTION by Windy to buy three more shelves for $80 dollars apiece; seconded and approved.

•    She has just received a new debit card for American Savings Bank. It’s in Victoria’s name but others can use it.

 

 

Standing Committee Reports

•     Education: Kelley Uyeoka (via email)

o  She is still trying to confirm the dates with UH-Hilo and will schedule a planning meeting next month. Tentative dates for the 2014 conference are October 10-12.

o  Peter: UH-Hilo has a policy of waiting until fall schedule is set to allow for outside scheduling.

 

•     Ethics: Holly McEldowney

o  She recently sent a letter to DLNR suggesting that SHA be considered a consulting party concerning the ongoing Administrative Rules revisions.

 

•    Legislative: Sara Collins

o Informal proxy report by Carl Christensen, SHA member: A problematic bill was introduced in the House and Senate by request of a task force from the construction industry. The bill would streamline development by allowing SHPD to delegate approval to unspecified authorities, allow counties to have hired experts, and expand automatic approval provisions to apply to SHPD. Additionally, once SHPD has approved something, it prevents subsequent opportunities for rescinding approval. He thinks this destroys the basis for monitoring and dealing with inadvertent discoveries. As of yesterday morning, it had not yet been assigned to committees. Sara emailed Sen. Hee to ask that it be referred to his committee. The bill

will go to three committees jointly, including Sen. Hee’s committee. As far as other bills, one has recently been introduced that he thinks came from OHA, which would repeal the phased review bill; though it is positive from a heritage standpoint, Carl thinks it is very unlikely to pass.

o Holly: Another bill has recently been introduced, which would make the historic sites threshold 75 years instead of 50 years.

 

•    Publications: Windy McElroy

o She was contacted about subscriptions and she forwarded this email to Victoria.

o No papers have yet been submitted for the next issue.

 

•    Student: Beau DiNapoli

o Nothing to report.

 

•    Webmaster: Nick Belluzzo

o Nick has updated the SHA website so that members can renew at all times. He is almost finished making a separate page manage memberships. He will change it so that when members log in the “Join” tab will instead say “Renew,” which should be less confusing.

o  He has drafted an email to the membership discussing new renewal procedures and the elimination of non-member email addresses from the listserve.

o  Question: should we make paper membership form available on the website? Yes, we should.

o  He has the audio files from Tom’s presentation and will post it this weekend.

o  From Mark McCoy, we have PDF copies of individual articles from Hawaiian Archaeologythat he will upload to the website; Mara has made these all OCR.

o  Question: do we have a copy of Special Publication No. 3? He has already put 1 and 2 on website but would like to add No. 3. This is available online, but we will need to resolve copyright questions before posting.

 

•     PR: Arleen Garcia-Herbst

o  Nothing to report.

 

 

 

Old Business:

•     SHA-sponsored workshops: Mara indicates that the next workshop, which will be in February, is still in the planning stages. Possibilities for future workshops were discussed, including the possibility of choosing different venues for upcoming workshops or charging participants to recoup the venue fee. Bishop Museum venue fees were significant. It’s probably not necessary to charge, as SHA has funds to cover these expenses for members. However, it may be useful to experiment with different venues.

 

•     Barrera Collection: Peter explains that there are two different boxes from two different sites that may contain fragmentary human remains. Peter will pick up remains on Friday and take them to UH-Hilo’s Bioarchaeology department for further identification. He has contacted SHPD Burials program. There may be no federal funding connection, which would have implications

for how the process plays out in the future.

 

•     UH library request for 2011, 2012 programs: Peter will donate a copy of his programs but will keep his originals.

 

New Business:

•     Invitation to participate in Science Alive event, Bishop Museum, Mar. 16, 2014: Mara says that this annual event that has previously been natural sciences, but this year they have invited Bishop Museum’s Anthropology Department and have also contacted SHA. This event will give us the opportunity to educate elementary school-age children about what archaeologists do. Maybe SHA Student Representative Beau can participate, and we can have brochure ready by then? Agreed that SHA should participate.

 

Adjournment:

•    Next board meeting: February 19, 5:00 pm, Paki 3, Bishop Museum.

•    MOTION by Victoria to adjourn at 6:02 pm; seconded and approved.

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation