Minutes – May 15, 2013

Meeting: Society for Hawaiian Archaeology Board of Directors Meeting

 Date: Wednesday, May 15, 2013

 Location: University of Hawaii, Dean Hall 210


Chair: Kekuewa Kikiloi, President

 Recording Secretary: Summer Moore

 Officers in Attendance:

Kekuewa Kikiloi, President

Peter Mills, Vice President (via Skype) Summer Moore, Secretary


Victoria Wichman, Treasurer

 Standing Committee Chairs in Attendance:

Sara Collins, Legislative

Brian Lane, Student

Windy McElroy, Publications


Kelley Uyeoka, Education


President’s Remarks:

•     Meeting called to order at 5:08 pm by Chair, Kekuewa Kikiloi.

•    Kekuewa notes that, although SB 1171 was passed, contrary to SHA’s opposition, many good things came out of the organization’s efforts to raise community awareness against the bill. For example, campaigning against SB 1171 provided an opportunity for SHA to build alliances with other community groups with a stake in historic preservation.


Secretary’s Report: Summer Moore

•    Approval of last month’s minutes deferred until next meeting.


Treasurer’s Report: Victoria Wichman (via email)

•    There is approximately $16,000 in the SHA account. Only routine activity has occurred over the past two months.


Standing Committee Reports

•    Education: Kelley Uyeoka (via email)

o  Nothing to report.


•     Ethics: Holly McEldowney

o Discussion regarding SHA’s response to the passage of SB 1171, which will allow for phased review of contract archaeology projects. Tom Dye of T.S. Dye & Associates, Archaeologists (present) suggests that SHA should organize a boycott by cultural resource management firms of projects slated for phased review. He says this would be a good way to stop SHPD operating outside the wishes of the historic preservation committed. Several solutions are suggested, including sending a letter to the Attorney General stating that the bill should be vetoed because it is flawed; sending a letter to the State Historic Preservation Division (SHPD) asking for specific answers to questions about how the bill will be implemented; requesting that SHPD post on their website all projects for which phasing is approved; and asking contract archaeology firms to consult with SHA before undertaking projects for which phased review has been approved.

o In terms of a resolution to this question, it was decided that Standards & Ethics Committee will work with Carl Christensen to talk about how to work up subsequent opposition to SB 1171. The Committee will set out a strategy to move forward with this.


•    Legislative: Sara Collins

o SB 1171 passed, despite SHA’s opposition.

o SB 407, the Burial Council bill has been amended regarding how and by whom Burial Council members would be chosen. Except for Moloka’i, which will have five representatives, each island will have nine. No more than three (one for Moloka’i) of the representatives will represent developers. Some fine-tuning of how OHA’s recommendations will be considered by governor was also applied to the bill. The bill has gone for signature by the governor.


•    Publications: Windy McElroy

o Four papers for the SHA Journal have been finalized and sent for formatting, which will hopefully be completed during the summer. Because these are long papers, they should be sufficient to fill out the journal issue. Two more papers are undergoing reviews and revisions, and it remains to be seen whether they will be complete in time for inclusion in this year’s issue. The projected publication date is before the SHA Annual Meeting in October.

o Jane Allen has proposed to do a special publication in collaboration with Susan Lebo, which will be a manual for historic ceramics identification. After discussion, the Board approved this proposal.


•    Student: Brian Lane

o Nothing to report.


•    Webmaster: Nick Belluzzo

o Nick will start migrating content over to the new website server and setting up the new website’s menus and themes between now and next month’s meeting. By next month’s meeting he will have a suggestion for web-based member management.

o Discussion of design concepts for the new website, in which it was decided that a clean, uncluttered, and modern look with organic coloring would be ideal. Sara suggests that we use dark print on a light background.


Old Business:

•     Newsletter: Summer has received seven submissions for the new Newsletter. A “featured photo” will be placed on the cover of each issue. The first new issue is on track to be published June 15.

•     SHA Meeting update: Summer presented a summary of the SHA 2013 Annual Meeting Committee meeting. The meeting took place on May 9, with Summer, Victoria, Mara Mulrooney of Bishop Museum, and Jason Jeremiah of Kamehameha Schools in attendance. The meeting announcement and call for submissions will be posted on or about May 25. Abstract submissions will go to Summer, who will organize the schedule and sessions with input from other SHA Board members. The submissions deadline will be August 16. The conference will be held at Bishop Museum on October 12-14. Mara will coordinate use of the Museum facilities. Conference theme is proposed as “Hawai’i in a Pacific Context.” For the keynote address, the meeting committee proposes that SHA make a tribute to Yosi Sinoto’s long career at the Bishop Museum. The stewardship award trophy will be coordinated by Kelley and Victoria. Jason will coordinate field trips and printing of programs, etc. Mara will coordinate T-shirt design and printing.


New Business:

•     Barrera collection: Kekuewa states that an effort is needed to consolidate the William Barrera collection to a particular place. Peter can provide some interns to make a detailed inventory of the collection. There is discussion about convening a working group to address Hawai’i’s ongoing curation crisis.



•    The next SHA meeting will be scheduled July 3. Next meeting will focus on planning for the 2013 SHA Annual Meeting.

•    MOTION by Kekuewa Kikiloi to adjourn the meeting at 6:42 pm; seconded and approved.