Minutes – July 31, 2013

Meeting: Society for Hawaiian Archaeology Board of Directors Meeting

 Date: Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Location: University of Hawaii, Dean Hall 210

 

Chair: Kekuewa Kikiloi, President

 Recording Secretary: Summer Moore

 Officers in Attendance: Kekuewa Kikiloi, President Summer Moore, Secretary

 Absent:

Peter Mills, Vice President

Victoria Wichman, Treasurer

Standing Committee Chairs in Attendance:

Sara Collins, Legislative Holly McEldowney, Ethics Brian Lane, Student

 Absent:

Kelley Uyeoka, Education

Windy McElroy, Publications

 

President’s Remarks:

•    Meeting called to order at 5:07 pm by Chair, Kekuewa Kikiloi.

 

Secretary’s Report: Summer Moore

•    Circulation of minutes from July 3, 2013, Board of Directors (BOD) meeting; MOTION by

Kekuewa Kikiloi to accept; seconded and approved.

•    This will be Summer’s last meeting before moving out of state. Discussion of whether it will be possible to take minutes remotely via Skype. Upgraded sound equipment will be necessary to hear events of the meeting accurately. Nick says it will be possible to use sound equipment recently installed in Dean Hall 210 for that purpose.

 

Treasurer’s Report: Victoria Wichman (via email)

•     Nothing to report.

 

Standing Committee Reports

•    Education: Kelley Uyeoka (via email)

o  Nothing to report.

 

•     Ethics: Holly McEldowney

o  Holly has offered to help Theresa Donham of SHPD with the drafting of Corrective Action Plan (CAP) requirements. This help was accepted. Kekuewa mentions that SHA wants to be involved in the hiring process for the head of SHPD.

 

•     Legislative: Sara Collins

o  Nothing to report. There have been no noted changes in policy so far resulting from the passage of SB 1171.

 

•    Publications: Windy McElroy (via email)

o  Windy has had a conversation with Sara Collins and Pat Kirch regarding having a memorial issue of the SHA Journal. It would also be a good idea to have an “In Memoriam” section on the SHA website.

 

•    Student: Brian Lane

o  Nothing to report.

 

•    Webmaster: Nick Belluzzo

o  Nick has been emailing with Sara, trying to overcome issues with setting up billing for the new host. He will use his own credit card information to get the process rolling.

 

Old Business:

•    SHA 2013 Conference: There was a discussion concerning the need to simplify the website transition from one host to another so that conference registration can happen soon. Nick can have website up as soon as we get him conference content, so long as the billing address issue is resolved. Mara Mulrooney, Bishop Museum, distributes a schedule for preparation for the conference.

 

•    Barrera collections: Kekuewa reports that Peter Mills is working with his students at UH-Hilo to inventory the collection.

 

New Business:

•    Transition of SHA President: Kekuewa and Sara thank Mara Mulrooney for stepping forward to fill Kekuewa’s place after his resignation. MOTION by Kekuewa to nominate Mara as SHA President for the remainder of the current 2-year term, seconded and approved.

•    Arleen Garcia-Herpst has expressed willingness to help with the brochure SHA plans on putting out, as well as a Public Relations Committee Chair position. MOTION by Kekuewa to establish an ad hoc Public Relations Committee and establish Arlene as chair; seconded and approved.

•    It is agreed that Kekuewa will stay on 2013 Conference Committee.

 

Adjournment:

•    Mara will set the date for the next Board meeting by email.

•    Mara will make a schedule for conference planning meetings, which should occur every two weeks.

•    MOTION by Kekuewa to adjourn at 5:57 pm; seconded and approved.

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation