Minutes – April 17, 2013

Meeting: Society for Hawaiian Archaeology Board of Directors Meeting

Date: Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Location: University of Hawaii, Dean Hall 210

 

Chair: Kekuewa Kikiloi, President

Recording Secretary: Summer Moore

Officers in Attendance:

Kekuewa Kikiloi, President

Peter Mills, Vice President (via Skype) Summer Moore, Secretary

Absent:

Victoria Wichman, Treasurer

Standing Committee Chairs in Attendance:

Sara Collins, Legislative

Brian Lane, Student

Absent:

Kelley Uyeoka, Education

Windy McElroy, Publications

 

President’s Remarks:

•    Meeting called to order at 5:05 pm by Chair, Kekuewa Kikiloi.

•    Recent SAA meetings in Honolulu went well. Thanks to everyone from SHA who helped out.

 

Secretary’s Report: Summer Moore

•    Circulation of minutes from March 20, 2013, Board of Directors (BOD) meeting; MOTION by

Kekuewa Kikiloi to accept; seconded and approved.

•    Organization of SHA archival documents is almost complete.

 

Treasurer’s Report: Victoria Wichman

•    Deferred until next meeting.

 

Standing Committee Reports

•    Education: Kelley Uyeoka (via email)

o  Nothing to report.

 

•    Ethics: Holly McEldowney (via email)

o  Nothing to report.

 

•     Legislative: Sara Collins

o  SB 1171 will go to Conference Committee. Both House and Senate committee members have been selected, although the committee meeting date has not been set. Discussions are ongoing with associated organizations about publicity to increase the visibility of public opposition to the bill.

o  SB 407 is also going to Conference Committee after recent changes from the House. At last check, the House changes were not significant from SHA’s point of view.

 

•    Publications: Windy McElroy (via email)

o  Windy has started formatting the two articles already received and has chosen images for the cover. She expects to receive two additional papers very soon, and additional reviews need to be completed. A publication date prior to this year’s SHA conference is still planned.

o  Discussion regarding the number of copies of the journal to print. Because Windy ran out of copies of the last issue, the decision is made to order 250 copies. We can get a cost estimate once the formatting is complete.

 

•    Student: Brian Lane

o  Nothing to report.

 

•    Webmaster: Nick Belluzzo

o  At the last meeting, Nick had set up a new SHA website prototype to be tested and given access to Sara and Victoria. Both Sara and Victoria had positive reaction to the functionality of the new website.

o  The next step is to work on aesthetics. He will try to get some themes started and see what everybody thinks.

o  Nick will migrate the membership management list over to the new website. He wants to be able to sell events directly through the new website. We should have the website ready to process conference registration by July. It would be better to use PayPal than Eventbrite for collecting registration fees.

 

Old Business:

•    Newsletter: Work continues on formatting the new Newsletter. A call for submissions has been put out to SHA membership, and island “correspondents” from the Big Island, Kaua’i, and Maui County are preparing submissions.

•    Brochure: A subcommittee of SHA members is working on preparing the new brochure.

•    Council of Council meetings at SAAs: The meeting was small but was a good networking opportunity for SHA.

•    Society of Councils of Archaeology: SHA’s by-laws were sent in and approved.

•    Lu’au: The Lu’au co-sponsored by SHA and UH-Manoa Anthropology at Bishop Museum during the SAAs also went well.

 

 

New Business:

•     SHA 2013 Annual Meeting: Jason Jeremiah is working on establishing firm dates and choosing a location. Discussion ensues as to the best location. We need to choose a keynote speaker. The Annual Meeting announcement should go out before the summer, letting the membership

know that we’re working on social events and field trips. Discussion about whether a theme will be chosen for the conference.

 

Adjournment:

•    The next SHA meeting is scheduled for May 15, 2013.

•    MOTION by Victoria Wichman to adjourn the meeting at 6:05 pm; seconded and approved.

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation