Minutes – March 20, 2013

Meeting: Society for Hawaiian Archaeology Board of Directors Meeting

 

Date: Wednesday, March 20, 2013

 

Location: University of Hawaii, Dean Hall 210

 

Chair: Kekuewa Kikiloi, President

 

Recording Secretary: Summer Moore

 

Officers in Attendance:

Kekuewa Kikiloi, President

Summer Moore, Secretary

Victoria Wichman, Treasurer

 

Absent:

Peter Mills, Vice President

 

Standing Committee Chairs in Attendance:

Sara Collins, Legislative

Brian Lane, Student

 

Absent:

Kelley Uyeoka, Education

Windy McElroy, Publications

 

President’s Remarks:

  • Meeting called to order at 4:59 pm by Chair, Kekuewa Kikiloi.
  • Referencing recent discussions concerning SB 1171, the Senate phased-review bill, Kekuewa encourages SHA to take a proactive stance on the topic.

 

Secretary’s Report: Summer Moore

  • Circulation of minutes from February 20, 2013, Board of Directors (BOD) meeting; MOTION by Kekuewa Kikiloi to accept; seconded and approved.
  • Summer will be moving to the mainland in August. Following a discussion as to whether it would be possible to continue completing duties of Secretary remotely, it was decided that the Secretary would take minutes remotely with the help of an improved microphone setup. Given the frequent participation of BOD members from outer islands, a better microphone will improve communication during meetings.

 

Treasurer’s Report: Victoria Wichman

  • Victoria recorded $789.90 in expenses for February and March combined. Kekuewa was given a check for $30.00 as reimbursement for the Council of Affiliates membership fee. $500.00 was paid to Amanda Sims for journal formatting. Adam Lauer requested delayed reimbursement for an Osteology workshop in Hilo, adding up to $250.00
  • The account balance is now just under $13,000.
  • Regarding membership, Victoria has received a large number of checks recently, with two new members. There are around 50 paid members total this year.
  • MOTION by Nick Belluzzo to accept; seconded and approved.

Standing Committee Reports

  • Education: Kelley Uyeoka
    • For SAA conference, the SHA booth is ready, although she is still looking for a few more volunteers to fill in the open time slots.

 

  • Ethics: Holly McEldowney
  • Holly has been working on capturing interesting discussions on the SHA listserve and creating a process for posting these discussions to the website.
  • Discussion regarding whether voting on new members should be instituted as SHA policy. Victoria suggests looking at the application processes of other organizations and working on a new member form with information about interests and specialties.

 

  • Legislative: Sara Collins
  • The bill concerning qualifications for SHPO, which SHA supported, has died.
  • Regarding the two bills concerning OHA’s Burial Council reforms, which SHA supported, one got held, but the Senate bill is moving. Language has been adjusted pertaining to the selection of Burial Council members and language has been added regarding interim appointees.
  • The phased review bill, SB 1171, which SHA has actively worked against, was going to be held but began to move again amid concerns that not passing it would negatively affect the construction of new roads. SHA members have read testimony against the bill to the legislature.

 

  • Publications: Windy McElroy (submitted via email)
  • There will be a total of 6 papers in the SHA Journal this year. Windy has asked Rob Hommon to write a preface for one of the submissions. There was a discussion regarding how many copies to print.
  • There have been requests for library subscriptions to the SHA Journal, which have been forwarded to Victoria and Sara. There was a discussion regarding how to handle subscriptions and member copies. Should we have folks pay extra for a hard copy? Should we separate the physical journal from membership dues? Should paid members have free access to digital collections? The decision was made to bring this topic up with SHA membership as a whole at the Annual Meeting and resolve the question. All past issues should be digitized and made accessible to the public.

 

  • Student: Brian Lane
  • Brian will send names to Adam for helping out with the SHA booth at SAA Annual Meeting.

 

  • Webmaster: Nick Belluzzo
    • Nick has migrated servers, setting up an account on his own domain for the new website. Victoria Wichman and Sara Collins have been accounts to try out the new website.
    • There is a host who provides free hosting for non-profits, which might be good to use. Nick will conduct additional evaluation before committing to transferring the site.

 

 

 

Old Business:

  • Newsletter: MaryAnne Maigret will serve as Big Island correspondent for the SHA Newsletter.
  • SAA’s: Peter will attend the Council of Councils meeting as SHA’s representative.

 

New Business:

  • Ordy Pond: Kekuewa voiced concerns from Peter Mills, who was unable to attend the meeting, related to whether SHA should comment on community concerns related to historic preservation for this resource. SHA was referenced in a letter intended to raise public awareness of the issue. It was decided that Aki Sinoto’s monitoring work and Susan Lebo’s comments from SHPD were sufficient to address public concern, and that SHA should not make a formal comment.

 

Adjournment:

  • The next SHA meeting is scheduled for April 17, 2013.
  • MOTION by Victoria Wichman to adjourn the meeting at 6:17 pm; seconded and approved.

 

 

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation