Minutes – January 23, 2013

Meeting: Society for Hawaiian Archaeology Board of Directors Meeting

 

Date: Wednesday, January 23, 2013

 

Location: University of Hawaii, Dean Hall 210

 

Chair: Kekuewa Kikiloi, President

 

Recording Secretary: Summer Moore

 

Officers in Attendance:

Kekuewa Kikiloi, President

Peter Mills, Vice President (via Skype)

Victoria Wichmann, Treasurer

Summer Moore, Secretary

 

Standing Committee Chairs in Attendance:

Nick Belluzzo, Website Sara Collins, Legislative

Brian Lane, Student

Holly McEldowney, Ethics

Windy McElroy, Publications

 

Absent:

Kelley Uyeoka, Education

 

President’s Remarks:

  • Meeting called to order at 5:00 pm by Chair, Kekuewa Kikiloi.

 

Secretary’s Report: Summer Moore

  • Circulation of minutes from November 20, 2012, Board of Directors (BOD) meeting; MOTION by Kekuewa Kikiloi to accept; seconded and approved.

 

Treasurer’s Report: Victoria Wichmann

  • The SHA account balance is currently $16,350.72. A total of $30 in expenses have been paid since the beginning of November, and $805.00 in membership dues have been received since the beginning of the year.
  • 34 members have registered so far this year. This total includes lifetime members and one honorary member.
  • Victoria suggests renting storage material to keep SHA journals, T-shirts, and other materials.
  • MOTION by Sara Collins to accept the Treasurer’s report; seconded and approved.

 

Standing Committee Reports

  • Education: Kelley Uyeoka (report presented via email)
  • Two students have volunteered to help with the SHA booth at the SAA Annual Meeting, for which their registration fee will be waived. Huliauapa‘a Non-profit Organization will provide funding for four young professionals to attend the SAA’s.
  • Kelley will be field trips for the SAA’s with Kathy Kawelu.

 

  • Ethics: Holly McEldowney
  • Holly discusses the possibility of preserving the recent conversation on the SHA listserve about coral dating by uploading it to the website.
  • Working on refining standards for radiocarbon dating via Steve Athens

 

  • Legislative: Sara Collins
    • Legislature has started, and tomorrow (January 24, 2013) is the deadline for submitting bills. SHA will definitely want to weigh in on the Rail-related bills.
    • The next deadline for the Legislature is the deadline for Resolutions in March.

 

  • Publications: Windy McElroy
  • The idea of a “Best of CRM” issue has been dropped for a lack of contributions, so that we will have enough entries to publish the Journal before the next SHA conference.
  • She has received several contributions but needs help finding reviewers. Anyone who knows anyone who would be willing to help is encouraged to contact Windy.
  • The question of whether to use black and white or color graphics was briefly discussed; it was decided to use color.

 

  • Student: Brian Lane
  • There will be an Ethics Bowl at the SAA’s for student groups to compete against each other. The UH-Manoa team has another slot if there is a student from UH-Hilo who wants to participate.

 

  • Website: Nick Belluzzo
  • For the most part, most people have had success in paying their dues online. Some profiles are being periodically deleted; Nick is working to fix this problem.
  • Website design: discussion about whether the SHA website meets the purpose we want it to serve. It was decided to eliminate the social network aspect of the website, in favor of SHA’s Facebook page and the listserve. Items to be posted on the website should be items that we want to have visible over a series of several months, at least. Job postings, for example, are a good way to attract an audience. Kekuewa wants to see imagery relating to Hawaii landscapes, with images of people similar to the UH website. He will be tasked with finding images.

 

Old Business:

  • The SAA’s are coming in April.
  • Kekuewa will be representing SHA on a panel focusing on indigenous rights.
  • The question of soliciting money from the membership for SHA’s $1000 donation to the SAA Luau was discussed. Is Kathy Kawelu soliciting donations? There was some discussion regarding SHA brochures for the SAA’s.
  • SHA plans to prepare on brochure discussing SHA as an organization, as well as one brochure discussing the history of archaeology in Hawaii. Content for the brochure will be made available on the listserve prior to printing for member review.

 

 

  • Membership fees were discussed in conjunction with publication of the SHA Journal. The cost of the journal, together with shipping, accounts for a very large proportion of each membership fee. Should we change to where digital copy is available free online, or you can pay for printed copy? It may be necessary to raise membership rates to account for increasing journal costs and inflation.

 

New Business:

  • Kekuewa has taken boxes of SHA archival material from Jo Lynn Gunness at the University of Hawaii-Manoa and plans on bringing to them Bishop Museum for temporary storage. He will make inventory of each box. Peter wants to emphasize the importance of digitizing all the conference abstracts from past SHA meetings.
  • Kekuewa received an email from the President of California Society for Archaeology asking whether any SHA has considered undertaking climate change initiatives in Hawaii? Kekuewa would like to share some links to climate change reports with the SHA membership, to highlight the possibility of climate change and loss of archaeological resources as an important issue.

 

Adjournment:

  • MOTION by Chair to adjourn at 6:14 p.m.; seconded and approved.

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation